Anthony Joshua makes a U-turn and says he won’t be ready for a new fight until December.
Anthony Joshua, a British-Nigerian professional boxer, has stunned fans by announcing that he will not fight again until December.
This comes just two days after he told the press that he hoped to return to the ring within the “next three months.”
Joshua regained his winning record last weekend, defeating Jermaine Franklin in a 12-round fight at the O2 Arena. That was his first win in nearly two and a half years, since his first loss to Andy Ruiz Jr.
The former two-time world heavyweight champion had expressed hopes of making a quick return this summer, with former foe Dillian Whyte, WBC champion Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder, and Joe Smith on the list of possible opponents.
However, Joshua stated on his Instagram story, “My next fight is scheduled for December.” Not ideal, but everything contributes to the bigger picture.”
“It had been nine months since I was last in the ring,” he said after defeating Franklin on BBC’s One Show on Friday. (before fighting Franklin). I don’t want to be gone for so long again. I hope to return there within the next three months.”
After defeating Franklin, Joshua was unequivocal about which of his opponents he would prefer to face.
“Tyson Fury or Dillian Whyte?” Tyson Fury, without a doubt. That is the golden pot. That is the world heavyweight champion, according to the WBC.
That’s what it comes down to, so Tyson Fury,” Joshua said.
Do not forget to always visit www.dailygamnews.com